CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 1, 2008

Cookie Challenge

Okay, I will admit right off the bat that my baking skills are not exceptional, but I've always thought that I am about average.  After this past attempt, I may have to reconsider my own confidence when it comes to the kitchen!

I just bought Martha Stewart's Cookie cookbook and so many of them look delicious.  Before I decided to start a food blog, I made AWESOME snickerdoodles!  They are some of the best cookies that I have ever made, if I don't say so myself.  Of course, I have no pictures, no proof, and after you read about my Lime Meltaway cookie disaster, you will probably doubt the authenticity of my Snickerdoodles.

So, anyway...I LOVE lime, and lime in a cookie can't go wrong, can it?

I followed the recipe, made the dough, put the dough in the fridge to chill, just like it said.  The only delineation I made in my cookies is that my two rolls were quite a bit smaller than an inch and a half in diameter.  I'm still not sure if that was my mistake.  I cut the cookies, baked them and this is how they turned out:

DSC00879 

Please note what happened when I tried to pick up a cookie...it just crumbled!

DSC00880

This is a close-up (Yes, my photography skills need some serious improvement as well).  My cookies fell very very flat!

So, since eating these delicious smelling cookies were out of the question, my hubby suggested using the cookies as a crust for a cheesecake.  Perfect!  So, right away, I found a key lime cheesecake recipe out of one of my cookbooks, and put it together. 

And here is THAT product:

DSC00881

Now, besides the HUGE crack running through it, I thought, visually it turned out looking quite well.  I was so excited to cut into it...

DSC00884

Hmmm....not so pretty anymore!  Let me point out my mistakes:

  1. Undercooked
  2. I forgot to grease the pan before I put in the crust, so it stuck...bad.

As for flavor - my "crust" turned out very good!  The cheesecake had a wonderful tart flavor. 

I have a lot to work on....yes, my baking skills need some improvement.  At some point, I will revisit my cookie recipe and try it again.  I REALLY want to try those cookies!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Was your cheesecake a baked type?
I have a recipe I use that I am sure you could adapt with any flavor like Lime. The two times I have made it they came out perfect!

Danielle said...

LOL I just read further and seen the steps for your cheesecake. The one I use says to leave it in the oven with the door shut for 3-5 hours that prevents cracking.Maybe try it again and leave it in longer with the door shut.