CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 15, 2008

Chewy Molasses Crinkles

Here we go again...another weekend, another recipe.  Such hope for perfection....

Dan was craving Molasses cookies and I had seen one in Martha Stewart's Cookies cookbook.  So, of course, after my last cookie mishap, I decided to give it a shot:

Here is what we need:

DSC00906

Next, put butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 c granulated sugar in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.

DSC00908

Mix in eggs one at a time, followed by the molasses and oil.

DSC00910

DSC00909

Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt:

DSC00911

DSC00912

Cover dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight:

DSC00913

Preheat oven to 325 F.  Put remaining 1/4 c granulated sugar in a bowl.  Using a 1 3/4 inch ice cream scoop, form balls of dough.  Roll balls in sugar to coat, and space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

DSC00917

Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are flat and centers are set, about 17 minutes.  Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.

And now, here is my final product:

DSC00918

DSC00919

 

Sigh....yes, they went flat, just like my other cookies.  The only thing mistake I can think of is that I over mix my batter and deflate my poor cookies.  They taste fantastic, they do pass the taste test, but still, I'm failing miserably at presentation.  So, Martha may send me an email some day forbidding me to ever use her cookbook again.  I can't say I blame her...

 

Recipe (Martha Stewart's Cookies pg. 83):

  • 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1C packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 C granulated sugar, plus 1/4C for rolling
  • 1/2 C unsulfured molasses
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 C All purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse salt

1. Put butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 c granulated sugar in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Mix in eggs one at a time, followed by the molasses and oil.

2.  Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt.  Cover dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.

3.  Preheat oven to 325 F.  Put remaining 1/4 c granulated sugar in a bowl.  Using a 1 3/4 inch ice cream scoop, form balls of dough.  Roll balls in sugar to coat, and space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are flat and centers are set, about 17 minutes.  Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.  Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 5 days.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Is it's any consolation...I have been baking for YEARS, and mine were flat as pancakes too. I think it's the lack of baking powder and eggs, so there's nothing to help the cookies rise. They were still good though!

Unknown said...

I agree. Mine came out flat too. But I kinda think they are supposed to. The picture of them in the cookbook looks pretty flat. It's the page before the recipe. Everyone LOVED them though.